Joined in Care Hospice Program for Dementia
Joined in Care is HopeHealth's hospice program for people with late-stage Alzheimer’s or another advanced dementia.
This program fosters spiritual, emotional and physical comfort and is driven by the unique needs and life history of the patient and family. Every service we provide is rooted in comfort, compassion, respect, a commitment to quality, and personalized care.
There are two areas of focus: patient support and dementia caregiver support.
We provide affirming and comforting tools and activities to help patients and family members adjust to the ups and downs of this journey. Here are the components:
- Storyboards reflect the patient’s life story and provide a reference point for families and visitors.
- Pet therapy awakens memories, alleviates stress and imparts happiness.
- Clinical care—provided by expert physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains and hospice aides—eases symptoms and improves quality of life.
- Vigils support family members and offer companionship to patients in their last days.
- Sensory therapies—such as music, hand massage and aromatherapy—remind patients of their lives.
Our educational workshops can help family caregivers better understand any feelings of fatigue, anger, depression and anxiety. Components include:
- Social workers offer caregiving strategies, plans for care, and assistance with coping with progressive loss.
- Volunteers give family members a break by staying with the patient while they take care of themselves or tend to errands.
- Chaplains listen, help articulate beliefs and facilitate meaningful conversations about important life issues.